I am starting my renewed journey to better health. I will be uploading a more in-depth post about my struggles, but I wanted to start this journey by sharing a recipe. I am going to be working hard to come up with healthy recipes that satisfy my desire to eat good food. I hope you enjoy them!
This first recipe is a spin on turkey salad. Traditional turkey or chicken salad can be a nice way to pack protein into your day, but it tends to be full of saturated fat from the mayonnaise. I thought it would be interesting to replace the mayo for avocado and Greek yogurt. This version of turkey salad reduces the calories and saturated fats that you would typically find in this dish.
I think this recipe both smells and tastes better than traditional turkey salad. I strongly dislike the smell of hard boiled eggs (which is basically what mayo smells like). I am also not crazy about the taste of it, but I do love avocados. You can put this one a sandwich or even eat it with a spoon like I did.
- one pound uncooked chicken or turkey breast
- one avocado
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your chicken or turkey breast according to your personal taste. I like to cook mine in a frying pan with canola oil and seasoned with season salt and pepper. Once fully cooked, allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes. This prevents all the juices from immediately escaping and also allows time to cool before adding it to the other ingredients.
- Once the meat is cooled, pull apart with a fork or cut into bite size pieces. (I like a more shredded texture to my chicken or turkey salad but still with definable chunks of meat).
- In a separate bowl, combine avocado, Greek yogurt, and apple cider vinegar using a potato masher or a metal whisk so that the avocado breaks down into a creamy mixture.
- Stir in the chicken/turkey and dried cranberries. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This can be enjoyed immediately, but I like it served cold. This will keep in the fridge for a few days. The vinegar should stunt the browning of the avocado.
I hope you enjoy this simple but creamy chicken or turkey salad. I can’t wait to have more of this turkey salad for lunch tomorrow. I felt full and satisfied without having to load up on carbs.