This next recipe is a spin on turkey salad. Traditional turkey or chicken salad can be a nice way to pack protein into your day, But I personally do not like enjoy these heavy chicken salads packed full of mayonnaise. I thought it would be interesting to replace the mayo for avocado and Greek yogurt.
I think this recipe both smells and tastes better than traditional turkey salad. I strongly dislike the smell of hard cooked eggs (which is basically what commercial mayo smells like). I am just not a big fan of mayo, but I do love avocados. You can put this one a sandwich or even eat it with a spoon like I did.
- one pound cooked chicken or turkey breast
- one avocado
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shred chicken or turkey with a fork, or alternatively, cut into bite size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine avocado, Greek yogurt, and apple cider vinegar using a potato masher or wooden spoon so that the avocado breaks down into a creamy mixture.
- Stir in the chicken/turkey and dried cranberries. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This can be enjoyed immediately, but I like it served chilled. This will keep in the fridge for a few days. The vinegar should stunt the browning of the avocado.
I hope you enjoy this simple but creamy chicken or turkey salad. I can’t wait to have more of this turkey salad for lunch tomorrow.