Description: an easy and healthy egg breakfast bake, which can be made ahead and stored in the fridge or made to serve a group
- one pound sweet Italian chicken sausage (could be replaced with turkey sausage)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced if not already
- two cups chopped kale
- one cup shredded mozzarella cheese (part-skim)
- two large eggs
- two cups egg whites (equivalent to 8 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (could use any milk or milk alternative)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- salt and pepper
*This ingredient list is meant to be flexible. I made two versions of this already. For the first version, I used one 10 oz package of frozen chopped leaf kale, one 8 oz package of fresh mushrooms, and one 12 oz package of Nature’s Promise chicken sausage (fully cooked). In my second attempt, I used one 10 oz package of frozen mixed mushrooms, one bunch of dinosaur kale, and one pound of raw chicken sausage from Whole Foods. Use whatever ingredients you like. Just remember that if you are using frozen vegetables, make sure to thaw beforehand, drain, and then squeeze as much water from the vegetables as you can or your casserole will retain a lot of liquid.
- If you are using any frozen vegetables, thaw and drain the vegetables. Then press out as much water as possible. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive or canola oil in a large pan over medium heat. De-case the sausage if using raw sausage. Once oil is hot, add sausage to the pan. Break up the sausage with a hard spatula or wooden spoon as it browns. Cook until browned. (If using fully cooked sausage, slice the sausage width-wise into rounds and cook for a few minutes to re-heat).
- Once the sausage is cooked, add mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes. Add the chopped kale. Season with salt and pepper, then mix the kale into the other ingredients and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread the meat and vegetable mixture evenly in the pan. Sprinkle one cup of shredded mozzarella on top of the meat/veggies.
- In a large glass measuring cup (mine holds 4 cups) measure 2 cups of egg whites. Crack two whole eggs into the measuring glass with the egg whites. Pour in 1/2 cup of milk and whisk until homogenized. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the sausage, veggies, and cheese. It should cover it most of the way, but it is okay if the ingredients stick out at bit. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover with tin aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes (until set).