Description: an easy and healthy egg breakfast bake, which can be made ahead and stored in the fridge or made to serve a group
- one pound sweet Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- two cups chopped kale
- one cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- two large eggs
- two cups egg whites (8 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of olive in a large pan over medium heat. Remove sausage from casing. Once oil is hot, add sausage to the pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns. (If using fully cooked sausage, slice sausage into round and brown for a few minutes in the pan to form a slight crust). Remove sausage from pan and reserve in a medium bowl.
- In the same pan the sausage was cooked, add mushrooms and cook for four to five minutes, until slightly softened and browned. Add the chopped kale and sauté for another three to four minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then mix into the the bowl with the cooked sausage.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread the meat and vegetable mixture evenly in the pan. Sprinkle one cup of shredded mozzarella on top of the meat/veggies.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, and milk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the sausage, veggies, and cheese. It should cover it most of the way, but it is okay if the ingredients stick out at bit. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover with tin aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are cooked and set.