Description: a healthier version to turkey or chicken salad that uses avocado and a little bit of Greek yogurt instead of mayo. This can be served as a sandwich or on its own.
- one pound uncooked chicken or turkey breast
- one avocado
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your chicken or turkey breast according to your personal taste. I like to cook mine in a frying pan with canola oil and seasoned with season salt and pepper. Once fully cooked, allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes. This prevents all the juices from immediately escaping and also allows time to cool before adding it to the other ingredients.
- Once the meat is cooled, pull apart with a fork or cut into bite size pieces. (I like a more shredded texture to my chicken or turkey salad but still with definable chunks of meat).
- In a separate bowl, combine avocado, Greek yogurt, and apple cider vinegar using a potato masher or a metal whisk so that the avocado breaks down into a creamy mixture.
- Stir in the chicken/turkey and dried cranberries. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This can be enjoyed immediately, but I like it served cold. This will keep in the fridge for a few days. The vinegar should stunt the browning of the avocado.