Description: a ravioli with a ground beef and ground pork filling. This is a heavier filling, so it would be best to use a sturdy pasta dough and a ravioli cutter (roller) instead of a cut-out.
- at least one batch of pasta dough
- one pound ground beef
- one pound ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz container ricotta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2-3 Tbs freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- To make the filling, drizzle the olive oil in a medium to large frying pan. Once hot, add the beef and pork and cook until well browned. Set the meat aside on a paper towel to drain and allow to cool a bit.
- Once the meat cools a little, add it to a mixing bowl and add in parsley, two eggs (beat first), ricotta, parmesan, and salt. Add pepper to taste. Mix everything together to it is more or less incorporated.
- Add the mixture to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is fine. Place filling in the fridge to cool before using.
- Roll out pasta into long thing sheets. When ready to fill, place the sheets on a lightly floured surface so they don’t stick to the counter.
- Evenly space one teaspoon (no more) of the meat mixture on the pasta sheet and then fold over the pasta to cover the mixture. Be careful not to overfill the ravioli or it might break when you boil them.
- Before cutting the ravioli, carefully seal all parts of the pasta sheet to make sure the filling is completely covered and there are no holes for them to escape.
- Using a knife or ravioli cutter, cut your ravioli and place each individual ravioli on a baking sheet dusted with flour. Again, make sure there are no holes and seal any that are there.
- Once you have a full tray of ravioli, you can either cook them in boiling water for 5-7 minutes. You could also freeze them for later (see freezer tip above). If you freeze them, add a couple minutes to the cook time.
- Once ready to serve, pull ravioli out of boiling water with a slotted spoon and plate with sauce. Alternatively, you can do what I did and pull out the ravioli a minute or so early and place them in the sauce pot to finish cooking.