As I should have expected, I came home from Thanksgiving with a ton of leftover cranberry sauce. Now, I love my cranberry sauce, but it is hard to eat an entire batch of it myself without eating it for every meal.
I decided to try something new this year now that I have my ice cream maker. I turned my leftover cranberry sauce into sorbet. Check out my recipe below.
- roughly 3 cups of leftover cranberry sauce
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- a squeeze of lemon (if you have one lying around
- Make sure to plan ahead and prepare your freezer bowl. I know mine can take almost 24 hours to properly freeze.
- If you have a chunky cranberry sauce, it would be a good idea to put it through a blender or food processor to smooth out the sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pot and cook over medium high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. The mixture should be very juicy and have a great deal of liquid. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes and then transfer to the fridge to cool for several hours.
- After allowing the sorbet base to cool, add to the freezer bowl and churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer recommendations. Mine takes about 25 minutes. Transfer to the freezer in an airtight freezer safe container for a few hours until hardened. Enjoy!
I was surprised how well this turned out! I poured the base into the ice cream maker and walked away for 25 minutes. I was shocked how quickly this transformed into this smooth sorbet.
It has a nice sweetness with the perfect amount of tang. My cranberry sauce already had some orange in it, but the added orange juice added another level of sweetness and flavor to this typically tart dish. I ate a bowl of this bright sorbet right after it was done churning, and it actually held form pretty well. It was a tad bit melty, but the sorbet turned out thicker and more solidified than either of the ice creams I have made so far. I put the rest in a reusable ice cream freezer container that I bought online. Now, I can enjoy this tasty treat as I want it instead of having to rush to eat an entire batch of cranberry sauce.